Thursday, December 20, 2012

Mom and Dad

In our little house, on our little block,
In our little town, at nine o'clock,
The lights went out, and far too soon,
At least, that is, in my little room.

After dark, Mom and Dad would come alive,
After all the kids, now totaling five,
Were covered up, and settled in,
And their quiet time, could then begin.

From the register in the floor, the upstairs floor,
I could hear the tv, and talking galore.
Through the hole in the floor, the aroma would waft,
As Dad fixed a pizza, and Mom would just laugh.

I was glad they were happy, but for pity's sake,
We never EVER had pizza, when I was awake.
It was tomato soup, saltines, and PBJ's,
At least on Summertime, non-school days.

Now, before I completely drift away,
There are a few more things I'd like to say.
'Til now, I've sounded like a bratty little kid,
Whining about what Mommy and Daddy did.

If the truth be told, about my Mom and Dad,
They gave up almost all they had,
To provide their family's basic needs,
Like a home, clean clothes, and food to eat.

My parents weren't perfect, their flaws made them real,
They showed us up close, the hand life can deal.
And though home was hard at times, I'd do it all again,
'Cause I'd be a different man today, if it hadn't been for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment